I have launched my new YouTube channel, just today yeay! It's "Feel Good with Arzu", you can go ahead and check it out, and subscribe! On the channel I will be sharing various breathing and stress management techniques, yoga, ayurveda, meditation, music, healthy recipes, travel videos from all over the world, beauty secrets, aromatherapy and all kinds of things that will make you 'feel good'! You can always offer me topics to talk about, ask questions, comment and be a part of the fun!
My first topic happened to be digestion, -constipation to be specific. When I go to the pharmacy in Turkey (and to CVS in the U.S.) I see that laxatives are one of the most popular drugs. Well, we simply can not get it out, I guess. And since it's not a very fun thing to talk about, most of us kind of keep it to ourselves, -up until we have hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are more difficult to hide than constipation. To cut the story short, I thought you may benefit from the magic of yoga and ayurveda to build a healthy digestive system.
(P.S. Yoga practice for constipation is up on my channel, and enjoy the warm ups before you start the practice! :)
And here are a few points you may find useful :
- Start your day with warm water (you can also add some lemon to it). Have warm water throughout the day
- Soup helps a lot!
- You'd think salad is really good for you but it's actually not. Avoid raw vegetables and go for cooked ones
- Exercise regularly
- Have a regular meal schedule (at regular intervals and at the same time every day)
- Take probiotics! Probiotics are good bacteria that help with digestion. (Homemade pickles, probiotic supplements, kefir, tempeh, miso, etc.)
- This Green Juice Recipe doesn't really taste anything like a smoothie but it works magic, good to have every morning before breakfast. This is my macrobiotic teacher Bettina's recipe, you can always follow her blog at: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Upcoming-webinars-and-events.html?soid=1104658967269&aid=6vAlfZmZ2fI
Juice of :
Leafy greens (3 larga kale or collard greens)
2-3 small radishes or 1/2 of a large radish
1/16th of green cabbage
vary other vegetables : 1/2 carrot, 1 cucumber or celery
add boiling water and enjoy! :)
1 cup yellow lentils
1 cup rice
4 cups water
2 cups of broccoli flowerets
1 medium zucchini cut into cubes
4-5 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, cut into little pieces
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
* Place lentils and rice into a cooking pot, add 4 cups of water and bring to boil
* When it boils, remove the foam, lower the flame and cover
* 10 minutes later, add broccoli and zucchini cook for other 10 minutes. If needed, add a little more water.
* Place the olive oil on a skillet, turn the flame on as soon as it's a little warm add fresh ginger. Cook a little, then add mustard seeds. A little later add coriander and turmeric. Make sure that you are not burning the oil and the spices.
* Mix the spices to rice, lentil and vegetables
- One last thing, ask yourself what you are holding onto. What stresses you have. Constipation is mostly about not being able to let go. Next week's topic is stress management. Keep on following us!
Have a happy and healthy week! :)